Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It´s official

I can´t talk to people anymore. I am drawing a total blank on the "how to behave in a social context" rulebook.
Inadvertedly offended this Rumanian/Bulgarian girl (did not quite catch which ) my roommate had met in her language class. They were passing me on the street, which did not seem the perfect moment for a chat, but I tried anyway. My only hope is that the Spanish was incomprehensible.

In an attempt to put myself down (and thus appear nicer...? WHY am I doing this..?) I commented on my own nationality as "boring" in comparison to her "exotic" one - exotic? yuk! I realized my idiocy upon expressing it, tried to turn it around, failed, and continued drooling in increasingly lower volume... not unlike the babyblue sweater guy from before yesterday. It´s almost certainly karma.

They then commented on the fact that I had "so many" groceries (veggies and fruits, I might add) and how everything is sort of too much and too heavy here. Here I drew the blank they drew upon my drooling. What is the problem with 2 kg of strawberries for about 70cts? If 1kg costs 60cts? What´s the point? First step to gluttony?

To top it off, I wanted to ask the girl her name again, actually as a show of interest and because I had forgotten it instantly - Valerie or Ivonne or something like that - but instead of saying, Tell me your name again, I said, I did not quite catch your name. I-v-anna. complicated name. Meet German idiot, un gusto.

Then I hurried away, so did they, and now I´m hiding in my room.

2 comments:

  1. Passiert immer wieder sowas... Ich war im Aufenthaltsraum fuer die grad students an meinem College als der Feueralarm losging. Wir hatten gerade Kuchen der Fachschaft gefuttert. Alle rennen raus, ich als letzte, und schnappe mir einen Muffin auf dem Weg nach draussen. Ich wollte den Witz machen so ungefaehr: Der Feueralarm war nur ein Trick damit ich den Kuchen aufessen kann... Ich sagte aber "I ate all the cake!" Die Fachschaft-Sprecherin meinte dann, das sei ja gut fuer mich, nein, eigentlich sei das selbstsuechtig von mir. Also auf den Boden starren und die Kruemel runterschlucken. Wie erklaert man auch einen Witz? Naja, die denken jetzt ich bin die verfressene Deutsche, und ich schmiere mir meinen Sarkasmus in England erst mal ab. Gruesse! Nici

    ReplyDelete
  2. ach... witze machen in der fremdsprache (tränchen-abschmier)... ein alptraum... R schaut mich meistens entgeistert an und guckt dann weg, und ich denke dann dass er denkt (bemerke die stille-post-dynamik) "ich akzeptiere sie wie sie ist, ich akzeptiere sie wie sie ist, ohmmm, ohmmm, wir sind alle nicht perfekt, ich akzeptiere sie wie sie ist...)

    ReplyDelete