Sunday, November 29, 2009

A moral question…

Roommate Rose made a terrific thanksgiving dinner and invited all the friends she has made so far – which are considerably more than I made, but I don’t mind coattailing. The group consisted of good-humored, friendly, and likeable people, and I enjoyed myself.

There was one snippet of conversation that bothered me and I would love to hear your opinion on it. Some of the Chileans present were working in tourism (hostel, tours etc), and at one point there was a short collective bashing of Israeli tourists as “the worst”, dirty, loud, cheap; one of them said that when an Israeli comes asking they would say they are closed and send them away.

As always, when I feel surprised by sudden spite, my reactions are incredibly slow. I asked why they thought this way, they told me few personal experiences, but much seemed some sort of collective sediment.

I managed to bring in a somewhat lame defense that their personal experiences might be due to the fact that – as far as I know – Israelis travel after three years of military service, and are thus somewhat hungry for life but equally desensitized, that they travel on a very restricted budget, always trying to save money to make time last.

My defense did not have any impact at akk. I was confused what to say as well, or if I should say something at all (seeing that obviously it would not change their opinion), it was a party after all and I disliked being the “serious” wait-a-moment person. But then, that’s quite cowardly and subjective.

Once, just back in Chile, R and I had met a crazy gringo. He blabbered and blabbered about this and that, and I was listening politely, and at one point he said Does he (headjerk to R) speak English? (I, naively, respond in the negative) I’m gonna tell you this in English then. Have your fun but don't trust too much; A good many of them are just after your pretty little passport. There was more but I don’t remember, and that was the punchline. R did understand enough English to know he was being insulted and we had a big fight afterwards because I had just stood there, feeling slapped in the face, without a clue of how to respond.

While that guy had obviously been crazy, there were a lot sane people with weird opinions around – the Australian conservatists: They (the Aborigines) are a lovely people I tell you (threatening deeply sarcastic tone of voice), the Israeli hardliner girls, the American and his sexual jokes about taking “two Thais, they’re tiny”.

I must admit that I am mostly curious about those people. I want to dissect them. I want to understand how they think. While this might help me for a story, it does not show exactly moral courage. I feel curious only as long as I am safe, for I am not among the offended (with the exception of Thai girl-joker). Am I not complicit, just asking and listening?

On that, I’d love to hear your opinion: Should you be firm and point out that people-stereotyping is offensive and stupid? Seeing that we all stereotype based on a couple of experiences, should you shut up, listen humbly and tolerantly, ask for the subjective proof? Seeing that it does not change anything, is it worth it, is it important, to register protest, even feeble one? Joking in response might be best (but I suck at that, especially spontaneous)

Other, hopefully more interesting takes on the matter?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nike,
    man kann ja mal einfach nett fragen: Ist das nicht ein Stereotyp?
    Ich wuerde wahrscheinlich bei neu kennengelernten Leuten nicht direkt sagen, dass sie idiotas sind, aber anmerken, dass ich selbst total nette Israelis kenne (muss ja nicht stimmen - was die sagen stimmt wahrscheinlich auch nicht) und keine schlechte Erfahrungen gemacht habe. Kann man alles ganz unschuldig und ohne Konfrontation sagen.
    Wenn mein Freund oder enge Freunde so einen Stuss reden, wuerde ich schon schaerfer werden.
    Liebe Gruesse,
    Nici
    PS: Der Ami wollte war wohl neidisch auf R und wollte sein eigenes Scheibchen von Dir abhaben...

    ReplyDelete