Sunday, September 21, 2008

back home (intellectually speaking) to war and museums

yeah well I had nightmares which built on bits of the beginning of "the beach", so I left pestering bankok in search of serenity in kanchanaburi. micha said it all ;-) for those of you who haven't heard micha rhapsodizing about thailand and who, like me, probably don't know anything about kan., it's basically a small town (sometimes looking more like basically a street lined with shops, taxi/motorbike/bike stands, fruit/food stands, bars, guesthouses, internetcafes or anything a tourist might need) around the famous Bridge over the Kwai river. it's famous because there had been a POW camp here in world war II and a film was made of the war crime that took place here (which I haven't seen. has any of you?)POWs died either in forced labor camps buildign the bridge or by allied bombing. there are two museums dedicated to this, a "real" one and a "fake" one. guess to which I went? it was full of weird potpourri kitsch and random collections, among which was a life-sized statue of hitler(actually i think he's taller here) and an explanatory plaquette which ends on somethin like: rumours are that H. is dead but really, who knows? no-one has seen his body..
the museum was fun though. i learned about a really important elephant duel in the war with burma. then I saw my first elephant! and a thai guy wanted to have a picture with me. he was wearing monk clothes I think, or at least something traditional, and I think we found each other the oddest eggs yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment