Monday, September 29, 2008

they called him "Big Boom Bong"

My weekly dosis of craziness took the form of an elderly Irish -"100 percent!" - who started to discuss Oscar Wilde - "I highly recommend you look into the family history of Oscar Wilde" - and Ulysses with me. He switched to Finnegan's Wake where I could say nothing, not having read it, and happily expounded the last sentence of the novel.
I figured he was a little crazy even before he revealed to me that "everybody" calls him "Big Boom Bong". he launched into an absurd story as to how that nickname came about... yeah, right.The conversation felt absurd but actually quite interesting. ... not as surreal as Joe singing "Leaving on a jetplane" in the jungle, more original than the generic snake story Joe told us (and less traumatizing than the truly scary snake story the Canadian chick told me: a Boa pet refusing to eat, diagnozed with depressin by the Vet, until the owner wakes up one day to see the snake stretched out beside her, and it turns out the Boa was FASTING TO EAT HER AND MEASURING HER !!)
anyway, BBB wrote down the last sentences of Finnegan's Wake - "the charm of favour's fond consent ...what would Ewe do?" As these seemed to me both too sexual and slightly insulting (Ewe?!), I fled, and that was that.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, ich habe eben ungefaehr zehn Minuten irr vor mich hin gekichert wegen dieser Schlangen-Geschichte (bloederweise noch bei der Arbeit, im Grossraumbuero). Charmantes Tierchen, jedenfalls.
    Ein straffes Programm verfolgst Du! Aber alles ganz wunderbar. Dein Blog ist grossartig, bitte weiter so!
    Liebe Gruesse aus Berlin (derzeit ereignisarm, regnerisch, unabenteuerlich), J

    ReplyDelete