Wednesday, September 24, 2008

still adjusting to the daze

okay so I don't know what the Lonely Planet people were smoking or whether they could all speak thai or something, but almost every single thing I purchased so far was - sometimes considerably - more expensive than those guys said it would be, above all transport. It annoys me immensely. less the money in itself - it's a virtual loss after all and of course it's okay to pay more than the locals etc etc - but the feeling of being the stupid foreigner. I hope I can loose that reflex because generally I found the people very nice, and if I thought I could detect my surplus price, it was sort of moderate. still, especially when all are shouting their goodies at you, you do feel like the cow ... a big fat milky white, sweaty white western cow ...well as you can see, my mood is only so-so, so I'll continue with the list of things-not-so-perfect (but still pretty awesome, mind you, I'm sitting below palm trees after all, totally willing to sing kumbaya and all)
b) as of today I've declared myself officially clogged.
c) I'm exhausted from lack of sleep. I arrived in Ayuttaya yesterday and spent the day looking at Wats (temples), worn out by a late nighte techno disco and a karaoke bar next to my guesthouse. so tonight I will treat myself to a night train to Chiang Mai (a large Thai city in the North).
d) I have an angry burn on my leg. I wondered half the day yesterday whether some insect had bit me or whether someone had maybe kicked me on the bus while I was sleeping.. but then there came the blisters so I figured my thai motorbike taxi guy wasn't talking shit when, upon delivering me at the busstation, he informed me smilingly that some-part-of-his-bike was really hot. I don't remember feeling any particular pain and looking at the nasty burn, I'm amazed at my tunnel vision capabilities.

on the plus side: kittens at the bamboo house in kanchaburi, a catcalling parrot at the guesthouse in ayutthaya , a light breeze that is so soothing ... omnipresent dazzling markets where I could stay forever, just looking looking and trying things (pass on the dried squid or frogs), terrific mango and coconut (disgusting pickled mango and dried seaweed), orange-clad monks taking cell phone pictures of the Golden Buddha in Wat Phra Si Sanphet, and the fact that left-line traffic is totally master-able. Oh, and when I entered this place where I'm now, the lady told me, Internet is free and, putting on the song, she added: Don't worry, be happy...

1 comment: