Saturday, September 20, 2008

bangkok

the combination of me forgetting my passwords and thai language is not helpful to speeding up the time spent in an internet cafe. well, I'm here. of course I'm at the hyper/touristy kua san road (if that is the name). i just couldn't be bothered to shop around for guest houses. it's exactly as one would imagine: loud, crowded, pictoral and pittoresque (no time to check spellings), colourful, smelly, hot, dirty, the food mostly smells good, EVERYBODY has been nice and smiling so far - even if they secretly curse me, it does feel good. lots of falangs around; it is soothing that most look as stupidly out of place as i do - whitish or sunburnt, in obvious holiday-let's-'crazy clothes. lots of couples too. so there is not only sex tourism. I've been eyeing every white man with suspicion so far. should stop that.
there was a cute australian on the plane (who travelled on to australia), so polite and very australian accent, totally endearing. BA serves great food - you were right about that ms N - but they scared me shitless with a "passenger issue"...after some time it became only "the issue". the guy was sitting in front of me and waving his medical records. they needed the combined efforts in politness of three english stewards t get him out of the plane, and I for some reason couldn't get "twelve monkeys" out of my head. that was at an airport too, rightm and with viruses etc... maybe my light reading of this morning did not help - all the free information sheets on any and all diseases distributed by the Tropical institut in Berlin.
well, so far not much more has happened, except a guy at the airport who told me half his - interesting- lifestory while we were waiting for the bus. originally a hohenzollern (i saw the passport) now american citizen, speaks 25 langauges, grew up in indonesia, joined the green berets, etc etc and when I asked him what he does for a living he said with a meaningful and wicked grin-smile that he works "for the US government." he looked the part too - somewhere between the old indiana jones and leo in "blood diamond". so that was scary too, somehow. If anyone cares to check, I'd be interested in the results.. first name alexander then something. he got into the dome for free.
anyway. I'm thinking of you my friends, with much love, i wonder where all this comes from, I seem to have a secret fountain inside me. it would be great to have you here and share (but then we'd probably get on each others nerves so its better this way)! keep me posted on events (or comment) and Ian, I'm sorry I figure I will be waffling.. but you're not obliged to read it

1 comment:

  1. hey, good to hear you arrived safely!
    your trip sounds interesting already!
    still really cold here, trying to ignore the nasty looks my oven is giving me...
    have fun and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete