Monday, February 23, 2009

trekking stories

rustyn, who helds the daily lecture in the Erratic Rock about tackling the mighty Torres Del Paine National Park, claimed that we are all somehow connected : "We could hve gone anywhere - but we chose to go to the bottom!" I´ve been thinking about this statement more than it probably deserves. Do I have something in common with everybody here? Are we all in phase of change, as Nina, one of the girls in my hiking group claimed?
Rustyn´s sketch of the Torres trek as a sort of coming-of-age experience half put me off the project altogether. I think he´s doing it for the benefit of Americans mostly who would otherwise schlepp their whole cosmetic and wardrobe arsenal around and die of shock about the hygienic conditions. It turned out Rustyn wasn´t wrong but he wasn´t right either. I was sick and therefore more miserable than necessary, but on the other hand we were quite lucky weatherwise. Nevertheless, camping, when it`s cold outside, is just a stupid idea. I wonder why I didn´t realize this erlier. On day one, I saw a fox, day two was as bootcamp-as-I-got so far (and I´m not planning to go further), but after that, I got better, and the last day ended in glorious sun and absolutely nerve-wrecking annoying wind. Now I´m in El Calafate and it feels like, after one day here - spent mostly at a lourdly cracking glacier - I´ve got the city down: The stray dogs seem to know me by now and I encountered my taxi driver from day one (He did actually get lost, which is quite an achievement: The city has about 150,000 inhabitants.) Tomorow I`ll be off to "the trekking capital of Patagonia" a place that doesn´t have ATMs..

No comments:

Post a Comment