Wednesday, March 4, 2009

In love with Buenos Aires

predictably. Yesterday it rained the whole day, and at the end of the day (around 8.30 pm when it was still light outside and it finally stopped raining and I had given up trying to go shopping), there was the most perfect rainbow I have ever seen in my life. A perfect high bow stretching across the sky.
I have spent my first days here shopping: In two days I managed to buy two skirts, a shirt, flip-flops (mine have miraculously disappeared between my last using them, Patagonia, and now), and sandals (despite the fact they only have up to size 40 and I´m a 41). Those of you who know my shopping habits and decision-making abilities will admit that this is no small feat.
I tremendously enjoy staying in one place for more than one night (three already!). By taking my time and not doing any tourist stuff at all, I also avoided being a full-time witness to "Who gets the Californian chick," a drama that´s been on for the last days. My Palermo hostel is a bit like "a hotel at night" (the last bus journey showed us "Benjamin Britton"; anybody else disappointed?), with a different batch of people... There´s two Canadians who-might-be-not-sure-could-be-gay, but if they are, they are not yet together. There´s this guy from New York now living in Michigan who studies Global Health (he agreed with me and passepartout that parts of the city seem like New York in the 1980s, or an idea of New York, with some Paris laisser-faire and even some lingering of Berlin, in the graffittis...). There´s the musician. There´s the two American girls, a thin one from California with big pretty cherry eyes, one from Oklahoma with bad knees. There´s the vulgar and constantlydrunk American girl. A British girl with almost white-bleached hair, an Australian who defended John Howard´s policies, and a Columbian pilot whom I befriended until I couldn´t stand his desperate role in WgtCc anymore...
Other than that, Buenos Aires is simply weird so far. Every shop smells sickly of strawberry chewing gum. There is something wrong with the people and their relation to money and selling here. Most ATMs don´t give you money or only a little bit - like 300 Pesos (about 70 Euros). After that, your "daily limit" is reached. Wtf?!! And then, it´s kind of hard to spend the money - nobody ever has moneda or cambio(change, small money). I´ve tried to buy things worth 3 Pesos, giving 4, and received exasperated Don´t-you-have-it-smaller?! responses... I´ve had a couple of seriously irritating "shopping experiences" when I entered shops which were empty apart from the salespersons - a chick for every rack, almost exclusively without any selling talent at all, standing in your way, chatting with friends, watching and sizing you (I could almost hear them think "really, a two? well, if you must..")...

No comments:

Post a Comment