Friday, November 7, 2008

Dive Nazi

the last days in Ko Chang I hung around with these Israelis who were all gonna leave soon, thus the atmosphere became increasingly gloomy and I was actually relieved when that was over - and after an acceptable hummus in Bangkok, Israeli connection, I was off to Ko Tao.
Greeted by splendid weather (against the evil rumors spread in Lazy Chang) I went and signed up for diving class straight away, before I could think it over and become too afraid. I had been recommended to a diving school and a teacher who was supposed to be patient and a native English speaker. Howver, that guy was suddenly unavailable so I got fixed with DiveMaster Violetta. Seriously, I have survived - AND mastered the course - more in spite of than with the help of my Austrian DiveNazi. I'm still grated how terrible of a teacher a person can be (our questions were answered with "what did I just say?", "didn't you listen" and "did you ever see me do that?"). her English was terrible ("1 liters water is 1 kilogram" "we also have waves. waves is related to the wind" "your kinn is here") and combined with her lack of patience or the ability to properly explain - and it's a lot of stuff at first, the outfit, its usage, all the diseases and dangers (gulp gulp gulp) and all the things you have to think of at first..
lucky for me, my dive buddy was my total opposite: calmly excited and basically calm.
I however breathed like an asthmatic pincher and freaked out on the first "dive" - which took place in the swimming pool! - because it was here that I realized what I was about to do - voluntarily drown myself - what if I accidentally stop breathing? what if violetta cuts my cord?? the stuff of nightmares - so for me it's one of the scariest scariest things I've ever done. that said, it's actually not that hard.
Only the last dive did I actually enjoy - when I had a different jacket and could finally float, when somebody told how to breathe better - which affected my mood in a great way - and I could finally enjoy the beauty, the fish, the corals... and we had done all the "skills' such as "cutting off your air so you'd know what your last breath'd feel like."

Diving is incredibly exhausting and I was looking forward to a beach day. Yet it rained in my hut yesterday and yes, it's raining now..
... Nevertheless I will nurse my diving wounds - first I slammed my foot in a fast-closing door, which made use of the fins very painful. Accordingly, I got a blister from the fins. As we were leaving after the last dive, it was very rainy, shaky and slippery and I squeezed my leg between the long boat's rail and the oxygen pumps. This was by far far far the most painful injury so far, I even thought something might be broken at first and I didn't register what people were saying to me. When the deep bump in the leg will have transformed into whatever it will be, I'll take a picture for my final accidents gallery..
Despite the rain, I've already made good use of the day. Firstly, I could finally restore my ipod - the music is lost but I can get new one, and at least it's working agains! Then maybe tonight there'll be a DVD somewhere - like Van Vieng, this place has many restaurants that show television. I might be comforted with something better than "Braveheart" yesterday. (doesn't Mel Gibson look like an 80s victim? I just can't get over this crazy hair.. and people say I have big hair!)
Secondly, Major girlie victory today for I was asked where I had bought my pink nail polish AND I could truthfully answer that it was both cheap and not from here... no, I'm not too old to gloat ;)
Thirdly, it is terribly inconsistent on my part but I went ahead and got a tattoo. yes yes I know. But the tattoo's motif is both great and it was the only true epiphany I've had on this trip so far - really the stuff of awakening from semi-sleep and having a mental image. Yet in another attempt at a cliffhanger, you'll have to wait and see ... hehe

2 comments:

  1. Juhu - das liest sich alles so, als gehe es Dir blendend. Tauchen mit Flasche konnte ich wegen Kohle leider nie machen, dafür habe ich mich fast selbst ersäuft, als ich die Flaschentaucher mit Schnorchel nach unten begleitet habe. Bei 12 m Tiefe hat der Tauchlehrer damals hektisch angefangen zu gestikulieren. Auf dem Weg nach oben wurde mir klar warum ;-)

    Ich will ein Bild von dem Tattoo hier sehen - aber zackig! Bamboo oder mit der Maschine gemacht?

    Die Khmer-Karte ist neulich angekommen - vielen Dank und Grüße (auch von Dani) zurück.

    Mach's gut und halt uns auf dem Laufenden - wäre jetzt gerne auch da ...

    Liebe Grüße, Micha

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT? Wow! want.picture.now. or I'll burst with curiosity.
    the diving sounds like an adventure...

    love and kisses!

    ReplyDelete