Sunday, October 19, 2008

phnom penh and cambodia - update


just look at these clouds! this is a regular feature... there's waaay too much water around here... we had a major major thunderstorm the day before yesterday which half came through the thin walls of my spartan guesthouse. accordingly, I fled, couldn't sleep there anyway. now I'm settled in a comparatively royal place... there's even a tv. I'm happy. tom and jerry for me!


I went to the Tuol Sleng Museum about the horrors which the Khmer Rouge committed in this High Security Prison.

anyone reminded of stammheim, like me? this used to be a school! it's creepy. and heartbreaking.


what the old lady is selling - i thought that was something to eat at first, but I think it's flowers..


I would write more but the guy next to me cannot stop trying to get his puss or whatever out and I might hit him if I don't leave, so, in the name of nonviolence, see you soon..


Pnom Penh was far smaller and far less dangerous and sinister than I had imagined it. Even the most-haughty and been-there types of BPs had cousneled me not to be alone, at night, with a bag ... Consequently what happened was that on my first day there, which I spent riding around by bike (mainly to avoid having to say "no thanks" every minute, especially to such inciting invitations as "you go killing fields with me!"), I got lost, at night, alone, and with a bag. And after the initial panic, everything was fine.


getting almost stuck on the way to the border: 3hrs of chuckholes, seven people in the car (two in the driver's seat as the Japanese guy in the front had payed for two seats and was therefore left alone..)

No comments:

Post a Comment